Located in the lush green mountains near Hakone, Yama No Chaya has been welcoming guests for more than 50years. Located in Hakone, the region is conveniently close to both Tokyo and Mount Fuji. Famed for sightseeing and the hot springs, Yama No Chaya has also earned a reputation within Japan for excellent seasonal Japanese cuisine that rivals any fine dining restaurant. As much a luxury ryokan as a delightful onsen retreat, the team at Yamanochaya have created a wonderful family atmosphere, a warm and welcoming hospitality style all set within a beautiful setting. Whether looking for a cool summer retreat from nearby Tokyo, or to enjoy the changing of the seasons and the autumnal colours within the surrounding leafy woodland, Yamanochaya is a place for all seasons.
With 15 rooms over 10 room types, there is a room for every stay occasion, from solo travellers to family getaways in rooms that can sleep from 1 to 2 guests in the ‘Japanese Twin Room’, to 2 to 6 guests in the ‘Tsukimidai-room Ajisai’. Every room type features a private open-air onsen bath with water drawn from the local ancient hot spring. Located near a bridge that spans the Hayakawa Gorge, the restful sounds of the Hayakawa River bubbling over rocks below can be heard from the terraces of the rooms or while soaking in your private open-air onsen bath. Yama No Chaya’s facilities include a bar and restaurant, sauna, communal onsen both indoor and open-air, and a spa offering aromatherapy and massage services. The restaurant serves both Japanese and Western style breakfasts and is famed locally for its Kaiseki-ryori cuisine – a special Chef’s menu served with artistry and elegance as a multi-course dinner using the freshest seafood and seasonal produce sourced locally with some special ingredients foraged from within the surrounding woodland.
Your Host and The Team
“Our Yama No Chaya ryokan is not simply traditional, I rather like to think we have created a wonderful place for fun and discovery, where our guests can really feel at home, where they can relax, unwind, dine of fresh delicious Japanese cuisine and where we hope they will want to come back again and again to our special home in the beautiful woodland of the Hakone mountain.”
Contact the Secret Retreats concierge to discuss and select the best room to suit your stay at Yama No Chaya.
Facilities and Highlights
- Renowned restaurant serving traditional Japanese and Kaiseki-ryori cuisine, by Chef Matsuki. Dining can be arranged in-room or at the restaurant. Breakfast offerings include Japanese and Western dishes. The menu changes every month, following the seasons, ensuring the freshest and most delicious produce for every meal. The tableware and presentation changes with the season too.
- Communal hot spring, both indoor and open-air, with water piped from Yama No Chaya’s own hot spring. The spring waters, part of the local Tonosawa hot spring, are alkaline and very good for the skin.
- Private open-air onsen bath in every room type.
- Indoor bath set in some rooms.
- Moon viewing platform set in some rooms.
- Lounge Bar with views of the surrounding forested mountains serving a variety of sake, shoju and a full range of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages.
- 60 types of Yukata, traditional cotton kimono to wear when relaxing around the property, available for guests to choose from and use during their stay.
- Spa services offering massage and aromatherapy treatments between 3pm to 10pm.
- WiFi both in the public areas and within the guest rooms.
- Enjoy woodland walks and visiting local traditional villages.
- Visit the Hakone Open-air Museum with its more than 1,000 pieces of artwork.
- Take a boat trip on Lake Ashi.
- Ride the Hakone Mountain Climbing Railway.
GENERALTotal number of rooms: 15 rooms across 10 room types
Time zone: (GMT+09:00) Tokyo
Currency accepted: JPY
Credit cards accepted: Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Diners
Electricity voltage: 100V
Electricity plug type:
CONCIERGEYour concierge is ready to assist you with planning and completing your reservation, contact them on email@example.com
ACCESSTransfers can be arranged from Tokyo by private car. Or take a train to Hakone Yumoto Station from where it is just a 5 min drive by public taxi to Yama No Chaya.
Airport: Tokyo Haneda International Airport (HND) - 71.5 km
Train Station: Hakone-Yumoto station – 5 min. by taxi
CONTACT171 Tounosawa, Hakonemachi, Ashigarashimo-gun, Kanagawa 250-0315 (〒250-0315 神奈川県足柄下郡箱根町塔之沢171) , Japan