The family home of the royal family of Mayurbhanj for nigh on 220years and counting, the 5 room and 6 suite Belgadia Palace is a grand country residence located about 3.5hrs drive south-west of Kolkata. Built in 1804 this Victorian neo-classical residence is still today the home to the Maharajah and his family. Part of the property was opened as a heritage boutique hotel in 2016 offering 5 rooms and 6 suites within the palace to guests. Set on a hilltop location within 12 acres of grounds, this elegant and luxurious residence overlooks the palace’s gardens and surrounding countryside.
The perfect home from home for guests looking to explore this fascinating region of Odisha guests are encouraged to connect with the local community in what the owners and team at Belgadia Palace call purposeful travel. Visit the local artisans to learn about traditional crafts such as the ancient, 4,000years old, lost-wax-casting technique of Dokra, and Mayurbhanj Chhau, a dance that combines both folk dance and stories with martial art forms. The nearby Baripada town is a treasure trove of local life. Visit the weekly market and marvel at the colourful sights unchanged in centuries and wander the town enjoying the architecture of the residences, shop-houses and temples, that tell the stories of the town in stone and wood as far back as the 14th century in some cases. For nature lovers the palace’s grounds and gardens are a must to explore and enjoy. With more than 12 acres of grounds the gardens share delightful verandahs and sit-outs to simply enjoy the views, a lake, mature trees and clearly marked pathways to guide you around the grounds and ensure that you see and enjoy all the beauty of these elegant and well-kept Maharajah’s gardens. The Belgadia Palace is also conveniently located between the Odisha’s UNESCO protected forest reserves of Simlipal and Baripada. The Simlipal National Park is one of India’s biggest wildlife conservation zones and is home to both a tiger reserve, since 1956, and a wildlife and Indian elephant reserve. The region is also a valued part of the UNESCO World Network of Biosphere Reserves.
The Belgadia Palace shares 11 guest-rooms, full service dining, a swimming pool, a library, a billiards room, acres of gardens and grounds, and a tour desk to ensure you get the best out of your stay in this wonderful family home. If you are looking for luxurious living steeped in the charm of a bygone age and surrounded by pristine gardens, nature and nearby forest reserves then look no further than The Belgadia Palace.
Mrinalika Manjari BhanjDeo
Your Host and The Team
“Belgadia Palace is the home of the Bhanjdeo royal family. This is the legacy of the erstwhile rulers that we want to keep tangible through the presence of our generation and our relationship with the people of the district. Princesses Mrinalika and her sister Akshita lead the heritage experiences at this charming family residence. Mrinalika is a yoga teacher and nature enthusiast whereas history buff Akshita is laden with stories and anecdotes of the family’s royal past.”
The Heritage Standard Rooms (2 units)
The Heritage Deluxe Rooms (3 units)
The Heritage Junior Suites (6 units)
Facilities and Highlights
- Elegant Dining and Mayurbhanj Cuisine
Mayurbhanj, named after 2 ruling families the Mayuras and the Bhanjas from medieval Orissa, is modern day Odishas largest district and has its own distinctive cuisine to share with you. Close to the sea and blessed with a wide variety of herbs and vegetables the cuisine features both fish and seafood with potato, gourds and pumpkin, aubergine, maize and rice. Crab curries and fritters are a favourite. Guests are served meals within the palaces elegant dining room or on the verandah. Dine family style on the long table or privately at your own table.
- Full-Service Tour Desk
Book a trip to visit local artisans or to see a Chhau traditional dance performance. The team at The Belgadia Palace have a variety of tours they can arrange for you to enjoy and explore the region.
- Walk and enjoy the palace gardens and grounds.
- Swimming Pool
- Billiards Room
- Steam Room
- Bird Watching
- Bicycles available
- Visit the Simlipal National Park
GENERALTotal number of rooms: 11 guest rooms
Time zone: (GMT+05:30) New Delhi
Currency accepted: INR
Credit cards accepted: Visa, Mastercard
Electricity voltage: 220V
Electricity plug type:
CONCIERGEYour concierge is ready to assist you with planning and completing your reservation, contact them on email@example.com
ACCESS200m from the Chipat Astia Bridge.
Airport and Train Station transfers can be arranged, please contact the Secret Retreats concierge to book your private transfers to The Belgadia Palace.
Airport: Kolkata Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport (CCU) - 230 km
CONTACTThe Belgadia Palace, Ward No. 2 Baripada Town, Mayurbhanj, Odisha, 757002 , India
2. Waste segregation and composting.
3. Energy Star appliances for Heating and Cooling.
4. Towel/Linen reuse Program which reduces water use by an average of 40%.
5. Energy efficient LED lighting.
6. Low-flush toilets and sustainable laundry, sanitation and water management.
7. Sustainable approach to upkeep and renovation.
Any waste material such as tree and foliage debris from Cyclone Fani went into composting with some of the wood used to make tables, chairs and fencing. 8. Refillable bathroom amenities in all guest-rooms.
9. Using recycled and upcycled furniture.
10. Only glass bottles, ceramic mugs and refillable refreshment containers are used on palace grounds to serve our guests. Single use plastic is banned.
11. Integrated pest and farm nutrition management - all organic and managed on site by our dedicated staff.
12. Use of sabai grass and eco-friendly materials in the house, as dustbins, bags and even doormats.
13. Partnering with sustainability institutions in Odisha such as Xaviers Collegiate in Bhubaneshwar, so students can work with professors to work on researching, analyzing and executing the best sustainable practices at the palace via certified internships.
14. Hiring locally and offering valuable training so the economic benefits achieved from tourism at Belgadia stay within the community.
15. Partnering with sustainable and ecofriendly regional and national brands for our in-house boutique to promote brands that incorporate sustainable practices in their business. Belgadia Palace works closely with local and grass-roots communities such as Project Chhauni, Chuliaposi Handloom School, Mayurbhanj Art Foundation, Sabai Grass Communities (SHG), Leper Colony, Dokra Handicraft Villages to promote their businesses and help in ensuring an alternative livelihood through eco-tourism with 100% of their profit going back to their communities. The Mayurbhanj Foundation keeps a percentage of revenue for social and environmental projects that benefit the local community throughout the year.