Wildlife and Culture of Sri Lanka- A Secret Retreats journey -
This journey has been personally designed by Cecile and Noel Rodrigo, owners of Noel Rodrigo’s Leopard Safaris who have been exploring and conserving wildlife of Sri Lanka for years and share their love of the island and its beauty.
We can of course adjust according to your request.
Highlights of the Journey:
- Climb the Yapahuwa Rock Oldest City and World Unesco Sigiriya Lion’s Rock
- Bicycle Ride in remote villages
- Jungle incursion by walk with the Vedda Natives (Optional)
- Wildlife boat Cruising in Gal Oya National Park
- 4x4 Wildlife Yala and Lunugamvehera National Parks Jeep Safari
- Tea Plantation
- Beach and Galle Heritage Town
This journey through Sri Lanka is nearly a circle around most of the Island and off the beaten tourist tracks. You will discover the large diversity of sceneries the island can offer: from rainforest, tropical jungle and bush, to manicured tea plantations or wildlife safaris. We will also engage interaction with locals in their daily lives, possibly with the native Vedda tribes, as well as explore colonial heritage town of Galle and rest on the beach of Weligama. Dense program to explore most of Sri Lana in 13 days/12 nights.
NEED HELP ?
Contact the concierge on
Your Journey Day by Day
based on 2 person sharing the same room
Dinner is served at the property.
1) Explore the surrounding by bike. The land around The Mudhouse is predominantly flat and we can ride to places such as the Paramakanda temple and Tonigala rock. We will cross several villages and pass by a few lakes on the way.
Possible bird encounters: Waterfowl - Little Grebe, Lesser Whistling-Duck & Cotton Teal
Migrant: Pintail, Garganey Common, Pintail Snipe, Asian Open bill, little cormoran
Endemic: Ceylon Woodshrike, Ceylon Swallow and many more
2) Try to be a local chef and prepare lunch or dinner. Most of the ingredients used are harvested fresh from the farm and delivered directly to the kitchen. Depending on the ingredients, recipes will vary. There is no electricity and no fridge in the kitchen, all dishes are prepared fresh a la minute! Traditional cuisine is both labour and time intensive but, it also reflects in the flavour of the food.
Dinner and evening at the property.
Upon arrival at your arrival to your property, check in and relax for the rest of the day.
Dinner served at the property
1/ Early wake up, get a cup of coffee and at 6am join a resident naturalist for an early morning bird walk with a sunrise over the lodge, enjoying the abundant birdlife and beautiful surroundings. The walk offers a number of possible routes through the trees and around the nearby lake, to observe a wide range of bird species such as Kingfishers, Eagles, Kites and many aquatic birds. Feel free to discuss your interests with your naturalist for a tailored trip to suit your preferences. Return at the lodge for breakfast around 9am
2/ Early morning trek to the top of Monkey Mountain, especially for the adventurous early risers (1h30 uphill trek). On top, dramatic 180 degree view over the forest and the valley, with the sunrise over the hills. Return to the lodge for a well-earned breakfast and enjoy the rest of your day.
Then with a supplement, you can continue the day with:
1/ A walk with the Chief Vedda for about 1h30: one of the last Vedda community– the forest-dwelling, indigenous people of Sri Lanka. The village Chief invites you to walk through the jungles of his ancestors: his tribe’s use of medicinal plants, ancient hunting grounds and cave dwellings.
2/ Go for a unique delicious picnic lunch in the National Park, next to a river, a waterfall or overlooking one of the park’s many breathtaking views. Continue with a jeep ride and some walk into the forgotten Nilgala section of Gal Oya National Park. Once protected by ancient royalty for the abundant medicinal plants and endemic birdlife, the park’s unique ecosystem is home to herds of elephants, wild boar, four species of deer, jackals, sloth bears, marsh mugger crocodiles and an array of rare exotic birds. Dinner at the lodge.
Yala Park has the highest leopard density in the world, it is one of the largest National Park in Sri Lanka, divided in 5 blocks. At 3pm we will drive to the less visited block of the park for a 3hrs 4x4 game drive: try to spot Sri Lankan elephants, sloth bears, wild water buffaloes and the discreet leopards. Back to the campsite, refresh with a good shower, enjoy a drink in the lounge and enjoy a candle and torch lit dinner.
The rest of the day is yours. Dinner is served at the property.
But if you like to be more active (with a supplement) we can arrange
- Half day - South Catamaran Whale Watching Sailing;to MARCH
- Full day - Sea Kayaking along Weligama Coastline;
- Half day - Diving in Unawatuna.
No meal arranged other than breakfast
- Evening: Tuk Tuk Galle Safari
- Half day: Discovery of Ambalangoda with Janaka ( a renowned local artist). His passion and love for his craft are immediately palpable. He expresses himself through the art medium of mask carving and painting. This encounter involves a close look at the rural lifestyle that molded his experience.
- Half day : Ceylon Gem Stories - A fourth generation member of a distinguished gem family hailing from the coastal city of Galle will offer you to discuss about his life filled with emotionally-moving anecdotes, descriptive narratives and personal accounts.
Wildlife and Culture of Sri Lanka
based on 2 person sharing the same room
The total price includes:
Accommodation for 12 nights
All meals as mentioned in the program (B L D)
All transfer from airport, to airport and all destinations visited (private A/C, train, tuktuk)
Guided visit, activities and excursions mentioned in the program
English speaking guide for local sight-seeing
The total price does no include:
International flights to and from of Colombo
Extra activities (with supplement) and meals not mentioned in the program
Travel Asia with Secret Retreats
Secret Retreats is a curated community of independent boutique hotel, villas, yachts and river boats keen to share their Asian Homes with travelers, sustainably and responsibly.
Conservation of the environment, culture and traditions of Asia is of paramount importance to all in Secret Retreats.
A community of like-minded hospitality professionals, we offer our guests authentic travel experiences that go beyond typical offerings to unveil the essence of Asia. Supporting the Asia based hoteliers and hospitality professionals and providing incredible holidays in Asia and tailor-made Asia travel itineraries direct to public ad travel agents.
Get inspired and make savings!
By booking direct with Secret Retreats and enjoy peace of mind from our full on the ground support. Contact our concierge and plan then book your Asia holiday now!