JOURNEY TO THE MAJESTIC EQUATORIAL SHORES OF RAJA AMPAT
If we look at a globe or a map of the Eastern Hemisphere, we shall perceive between Asia and Australia a number of large and small islands, forming a connected group distinct from those great masses of land and having little connection with either of them. Situated upon the Equator and bathed in the tepid water of the great tropical oceans, this region enjoys a climate more uniformly hot and moist than almost any other part of the globe and teems with natural productions which are elsewhere unknown.
– Alfred Russell Wallace.
Patti has been actively involved with the rich and vibrant cultures of the Dani and Asmat peoples of West Papua since moving to Indonesia in 1983. Silolona is a traditional hand crafted vessel that speaks of the history of the Spice Trade and embodies the spirit of the Indonesian Archipelago.
- Cruising on a luxury Phinisi sailing ship
- Visiting the Raja Ampat Archipelago
- Seeing the richest marine diversity on the planet
- Experiencing the regions unique traditional cultures
The price start at 1,551 USD/person/day
Upon arrival in Sorong, the Crew will welcome you at the airport and arrange the transfer to the nearby harbor
where the MSV Silolona will be waiting. Set sail for the Raja Ampat Archipelago. For the next week you will be onboard Silolona and served by a professional and knowledgeable crew. Depending upon the winds and the tides and wishes of our guests, you may choose to snorkel or dive with our experienced PADI dive instructor, kayak, water-ski, fish from the tenders, visit a village or relax on a pristine white sand beach. All meals will be served alfresco on Silolona ’s spacious teak deck and feature our own Asian, Fusion and Western cuisine prepared by the talented Chef with an emphasis on fresh tropical fruits, organically-grown vegetables, freshly caught seafood, and made-onboard pastries and fresh breads.
In the 1700’s William Dampier reached the northwestern tip of Papua and traveled with the rising tide into the great channel that now bears his name. The Dampier Strait conveys massive quantities of seawater, forcing currents to flow parallel to the equator where most currents flow North and South. Dampier’s tidal surges carry planktonic feasts that attract hundreds of manta rays at this time of year near Arborek Island.
After an alfresco breakfast on deck, dive down to the shallow sandy bottom and wait for the giant mantas to pass overhead circling back again and again, or swim with these gentle giants at the surface, as they glide by graceful and mysterious. In the late afternoon, trek through the forest of Sawingrai village on Pulau Gam, guided by a local Papuan, to catch a glimpse of the mating rituals of the elusive and ethereal Red Bird of Paradise.
Dine under a starry sky, then the Silolona will sail North-West towards the Wayag archipelago.
Cruise by tender or kayak silently through the Wayag lagoon and its magical maze of limestone karst ‘gumdrop’ islands adorned with pitcher plants and wild orchids. No words can adequately describe the sense of exploration and discovery of a world as it must have appeared before the arrival of man. A must for a panoramic view of Wayag’s Bay and its karst pinnacles is to climb Mt Pindito just after dawn or sunset. This is a short climb yet fairly vertical from the beach through jungle scrub. Search for tropical orchids, insect eating pitcher plants, and flocks of red and green parrots.
Sail into magnificent Aljui Bay, an extensive mangrove-lined inlet, home to the Cendana pearl farm. Visit the pearl farm for a tour of their operations and take a fascinating glimpse into the skill, time and energy it takes to cultivate natural pearls - especially exciting on harvest day as each oyster shell is opened to reveal a pearl. Pearl farms function as de facto marine reserves. And yes, they do have pearls for sale and though they are a bargain, these are amongst the world’s finest pearls with a commensurate price tag!
Aljui Bay is also known for its underwater abundance of unique crustaceans, including zebra crabs and Coleman’s shrimps riding on fluorescent colored fire urchins. Under the Cendana jetty enjoy an incredible muck dive or snorkel to see dozens of stonefish, ornate ghost pipefish and frogfish. Now acclimated and attuned to the rhythm of the tides and life onboard, snorkel or scuba the varied coral gardens of the richest reefs known to mankind. Paddle through the uninhabited islets and turquoise waters surrounding Pulau Fam, kayak the perfect white sandy circle of tiny Pulau Yeben.
Final dives at Cape Kri in the morning, maybe go snorkel to the Passage, then spend the afternoon in the Gam mangroves kayaking.
Bid farewell to the Crew and Silolona in Sorong - The Crew will escort you to the airport on time for your flight to Bali or Jakarta.
Ask the Secret Retreats Concierges for recommendations to continue your trip perhaps in Misool, Bali or Jakarta.
Silolona Sojourns Vessel
Silolona Sojourns Vessel
Silolona Sojourns Cabin
This program is a 7-Night / 8- Day Cruise with prices:
- in Guest Cabin Suites: 1,551 USD/person/day
- in Master Cabin Suites: 2,189 USD/person/day
Valid for journeys in 2018.
The total price includes:
- Accommodation in Twin sharing staterooms (maximum 1 additional child below 6yo per stateroom)
- All meals, snacks, bottled water & refreshments (excluding alcohol)
- Shore excursions as outlined on the itinerary; entrance fees and permits at our seasonal home ports
- Transfers to/from shore to the ship
- Services of English-speaking expedition leader
- Service of the Crew
- Use of all water sports equipment including sea kayaks, dive equipment including wetsuits for certified divers, snorkel equipment, water skis, wake board, swept- wings towing toy and fishing gear.
The total price does not include:
- Crew and guide gratuities
- En-route accommodations at stopover cities at the beginning and end of your trip
- International airfare; domestic airfare; excess baggage fees
- Passport, visas or airport departure fees
- Entry permits, ports and handling fees outside our seasonal bases
- Alcoholic beverages; cultural program cost; PADI dive certification courses
- All government taxes, telecommunication costs for satellite phone & email charges.
- We reserve the right to apply a surcharge for exceptional additional expenses due to sudden changes in government policies, large fluctuations in exchange rates or rising fuel costs. All efforts will be made to minimize the implementation of surcharges.
This Secret Journey was designed in cooperation with Silolona Sojourns.